What happens if the non-custodial parent quits paying child support?

On Behalf of | Feb 23, 2022 | Divorce

Dealing with custody and child support issues can be difficult and stressful no matter how long it has been since the divorce or separation. Not only that, but it may not always be easy to maintain a harmonious relationship with an ex-partner. This can put a damper on lines of communication.

In addition to that, an unexpected change in child support payments can add to that stress. The good news is that even if you are not sure where to start, there are steps you can take to right the situation.

Understand what your first step should be

When the non-custodial partner has missed child support payments, the issue is sometimes resolvable by reaching out to them and discussing the situation. However, depending on the relationship, this may not be a possibility. If it is not possible to discuss missed child support payments with the non-custodial parent, then the next step is to reach out to other outlets.

Know what your options are

A child support order is a legal obligation, so if the non-custodial parent is no longer making payments, the court can hold them in contempt. Some may choose to contact their local government about the issue, while others may seek outside help to ensure that child support payments are being made on time.

If you find yourself in a situation where you are no longer receiving the agreed-upon child support, there are actions that you can take. Often, reaching out for help can speed up the process of getting child support payments back on track.